Thursday 15 April 2010

Kevin Watson

Kevin Watson works for Kellogg's design team and is a Art Director, he studied at Stockport College. I met Kevin for a portfolio visit and found the whole experience extremely helpful.

Kevin firstly went through my portfolio which he was impressed by he said that i should pick my best pieces from College and University and combine them into one black folder A4-A3 size as he felt this would have a professional look to it he said that showing as many different styles of work would show my skills and what I'm capable of at an interview, he also said that when he did interviews some companies can be rough with your portfolio and having it in a black case will protect it more. Kevin also explained that i should always have sample work ready because if i applied for a job the agency could contact me asking for samples before an interview if there not completely sure.

I also took my final major project along with me as i felt the more feedback i can receive the better my final project will develop. When i showed Kevin my project and explained the thought behind it he said the idea was clever and strong and makes a very good campaign and especially liked the grass and gravel poster saying it was a strong visual. When i explained that the brief was to promote Go Outdoor he said it wasn't fully working as an advertisement campaign for a shop and seemed more like a public information advert, he suggested changing my brief to promote the National Trust he felt that putting there logo onto a poster would give them a better purpose and is more in keeping with the posters.

Kevin talked about the divide down the centre of the posters he said instead of having an invisible line i could make it more interesting by trying a zip as a divide or a chevron, i felt this was a really good idea and will be trying this idea out. Kevin also talked about my logo been like a Levi Jeans tag on the corner of the page as i explained to him that a previous designer had talked about putting the logo in a box, i think the Levi tag sounds like a good idea and would possibly give the poster a more professional finish to it. I mentioned to Kevin that i wasn't completely happy with some of the imagery on the other posters which he agreed with he said i needed something that is more in keeping with the grass and gravel so the posters look more related he gave me some really good ideas to look into so i look forward to testing them.

Overall Kevin said he liked my work and i had a good eye for Graphic Design he explained after seeing my portfolio then seeing my final show pieces he said he could see the change and development in my work. Kevin said he would be interested in seeing my work again before i exhibit it and has offered as much help as i need over the next few weeks.

I feel this portfolio visit went well and have gained alot from it including confidence.

No comments: