Monday 12 April 2010

Paul Pavlou

Paul Pavlou is a freelance Graphic Designer who is based in Walkden and is currently doing a small project for a roofing company.

I arranged to meet with Paul so he could have a look over my portfolio. He gave me some pointers about my portfolio and seemed to be more impressed by my College work than my University work he said it would be a good idea to combine the two in one big portfolio preferably in a black folder than a book.

Paul said i seem to explain myself clearly but there was a sense of lack of confidence which i agreed with, he explained that in the industry i need to have confidence in my work because if i didn't believe in it i would struggle to make others believe. After talking with him about this i did realise that if i came across unsure or my lack of confidence came through people in the design industry would see this as a weakness so this is something i need to build on.

Paul explained how he enjoyed the freedom of freelancing "your your own boss" he said but he also explained that you have to be double hard on yourself to stick to a strict routine. When he first started freelancing he explained its never as easy as you think because the first few months are spent sending mail and trying to get your work noticed in local magazines so you can gather a client list which he also added is an never ending process as some companies only want one off designs where as some companies are more regular.

Overal i found my portfolio visit with Paul to be extremely helpful and getting the knowledge of a freelance designer and how he started out is also very interesting.

I feel from the feedback i have i really need to think about a traditional portfolio but at a A4 size, which includes taking pictures of all college and university work.

No comments: