Thursday 7 May 2009

Out Of The Box Creative

When researching into design company's i came across Out Of The Box Creative, which is a small based Manchester agency run by Martyn Hammond.
I contacted Martyn threw email and he agreed to view my portfolio, Martyn was very friendly and professional and even suggested if it was easier for me that he would do a home visit.
Martyn's clients include-
  • Aga
  • Leisure
  • Diadora
  • Sandersons
  • Bailey Dyson Architects
  • Studio Catalogues

When Martyn arrived he firstly viewed my university portfolio, he was rather surprised as to the style of it he said he expected it to be in a black folder case but liked the idea of the brochure style. Martyn had a look through at the work, the first thing he picked up on was hyphenating he explained that all text should be hyphenated with no widows he explained how important this was when in the work place as it looks more professional. When looking through the individual pieces in the book he picked up on the Futura piece he explained how lucky i was to have Futura as my font to research as its a interesting font and you can use it in many different ways as it has a huge family, he explained how interesting the pieces were he preferred the "St" page because of the contrast he explained that the other page needed more attention to detail.

The second piece he looked at was Memory work, he really liked this piece but was slightly confused he explained that in book i did i have spread the work over three double page spreads and he didn't realise that all the pieces were connected because i hadn't explained myself very clearly but overall he liked the pieces he explained how i had used the white space really well .

The third piece he looked at was the Bolton Branding he was rather excited by this as he has done some work for Manchester City Council himself. When looking at the logo he said how interesting the logo was he said it worked a lot better than the current one. In my portfolio i have set four logos out in different colours, Martyn suggested that the four colours could represent the different branches for example, social services, benefits office etc and for the community he liked the idea of having a city scape background for the city and a countryside background for the county and so on. Although he was impressed with the initial ideas he felt i hadn't shown enough in the portfolio and hadn't explained myself enough, he felt i had a really good piece but needed an extra push with it.

When talking with Martyn he wanted to know more about how i had arrived at University, i explained to him that i had been to college and studied Btec Graphic Design he was really interested in this and wondered if i had my portfolio that i used for my interview to university, which luckily i did he explained that the reason he likes doing home visits for students and interviews is because sometimes you leave the best bits behind without realising and by then its to late.

Martyn went through my college work and really liked some of my old work in there he said if i developed some of my old work to suit the skills i have learnt through University i could combine this with my new work and i would have a really strong portfolio, which was a real confidence boost. I sat through some of the old work and listened and made notes on some of the tips and advice he had, Martyn said " key to good design is simplicity".

After looking through my portfolios Martyn had brought one of his portfolios that he keeps updated with him as a chance for me to see exactly what it is he does and how effective it can look. After seeing his portfolio it really gave me inspiration to take his advice and combine the two portfolios to create a stronger one keeping in mind simplicity.

Martyn's visit was a real eye opener and has boosted my confidence with design i feel i just need to push myself that little harder to achieve my goals.

Contact - www.outoftheboxcreative.co.uk

Email Martyn.hammond1@ntlworld.com

No comments: